Saturday, July 27, 2013

Growing my Library

Yesterday was the day I had been waiting for for months...the library bag sale! Twice a year the public library sells books for $5 per bag. They sell a variety of books, movies, and audio that they, for one reason or another, no longer want to circulate.  The books are typically in great condition.  I usually stick to the children's section. I really do anticipate this day for months as it is a great and cheap way for me, as a new teacher, to expand my library.

I couldn't contain my excitement and went over for a preview earlier in the week. I, of course, had to take home a few must haves that day.  Here is what I got for $7 earlier on the week.  The thin readers were 25 cents a piece. The others were 50 cents a book.
 

Friday is the day for $5 per bag of books.  I calculated that I can fit about 55 books in a bag.  I cheat and bring my own bags to save the fifty cents they charge to buy their reusable bags.  That means that I am paying approximately 9 cents a book.  Sounds like a great deal to me.  Today I got three bags of books.  It was like Christmas in July!  Look at my haul!


I forgot to put another small stack of books in the photo.  I had some great finds today, though I came home with mostly nonfiction books. I still have to organize the books.  I may be forgetting about some great find buried in one of the bags, but right now I think my best find is that book top and center on the stack of books.  Kate DiCamillo is one of my favorite authors! My student teaching class and I two years ago fell in love with her writing style as we read aloud Desperaux.  I can't wait to dive into this gem by Ms. DiCamillo! Now comes the best part, reading each book, entering it into my digital catalog of books, and sorting the books into baskets. :)

I also found even better deals on school supplies at Discount Drugmart.  Westcott scissors are 2 for $1. Rulers are 4 for $1. Two pocket folders are 15 cents.  I picked these up today and will be returning the others I bought earlier this week.  My search for cheap school supplies continues, though I don't think I'll be able to best these prices.



I hope you had a great day and that your back to school preparations are going great!  Do you have any secrets to share about buying school supplies or setting up a classroom library?



4 comments:

  1. I wonder if my library does that here? You have inspired me to look into that......lord knows I can use some more books for my building!

    Thanks for the tip!

    Katie
    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are speaking my language!!! Books (on the cheap!) and school supplies! I always go the first day of the book sale and the last day ($5 per bag at our library too on the last day). Our next one is coming up in Aug. I've got it on iCal!

    I have never heard of that store though. Cheapest prices I've found are at Wally World. I didn't need a lot this year, but always need notebooks and pencils and pens of course. Glue sticks, glue, markers ... OK, well I did pick up quite a few things actually! Still need some more spiral notebooks.

    Now, please direct me to a post (or write one if you haven't!) about this digital book catalog you mentioned in this post. I desperately need something to help me know exactly what books we have in our library! I *might* have purchased a book we already own before. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the local stores offer better deals on school supplies than the big box stores.
      I have seen a few apps recommended for cataloging books. I'm going to test those against the one I already have. I'll be sure to post my findings here on my blog! But you know it's a good book when you buy it twice!

      Delete